Sunday, March 4, 2018

A Day in the Life, 2018

Just like last year, my Shoot Along photography course challenged us to complete a day-in-the-life photo project. Starting the moment we woke, we were tasked with taking one photo every 10 minutes. Whew! I pretty much stayed on top of it this time around. And now that I have all these pictures of one complete day, I figured it'd be fun to share exactly what goes on in our home over the course of 24 hours with you! A day in the life of our family . . .

March 2, 2018

Jude starts making noise. And this is the first we've heard from him since he went to bed around 8:30pm. He slept through the night!! We usually let him play in his crib a bit before I go in to nurse him, mostly to give us some time to come to consciousness. 

John Paul is now awake and fussing, so John goes in to get him and bring him into our room for morning snuggles. As soon as John Paul makes it into the room, Jude's really starts to fuss, so I head into his room to nurse him for a while.

Jude's done nursing, so I go grab John Paul from our room. John is completely passed out again; he's exhausted from having been on call overnight and answering several phone calls from the hospital in the wee hours of the morning. So I take both boys downstairs with me and we let Daddy sleep in for a little bit longer. He just wants 30 minutes more.

It's time to make breakfast! The second I open the fridge, Jude is immediately at my feet, rummaging through all the fridge goodies. John Paul soon joins him.

Quick diaper changes.

Breakfast is finally on the table. Coconut milk chia seed pudding for all of us. I add homemade granola to mine. The boys eat theirs with strawberries and blackberries. John Paul also gets half of an everything bagel, per his request. I've also prepared a bagel for John when he wakes.

Forgot to make the coffee! We drink cold brew basically every morning. So I get back up from the breakfast table, leaving the boys to chow down, and go make two coffees. Cold brew + protein nut milk + agave is our combo of choice.

Jude is antsy to get out of his highchair. He makes the best antsy faces. I leave the boys briefly to go wake up John.

John joins the breakfast table and adds cream cheese to that toasty bagel. He's using Kite Hill vegan chive cream cheese since we're vegan for Lent.

We all wrap up eating and chatting and John gets ready to head out with Jude. Jude has a quick check-up at the pediatrician to make sure his weight gain is still on track.

While John gets Jude changed and ready to go, John Paul asks me to play this little board game he got in his Chick-Fil-A kids' meal last night. It involves picking up paper bones with tongs shaped like a dog. Pretty cute. He loves it.

Did I mention that Jude can walk now?! Look at how proud big brother is!

John and Jude rush out the door to make it to their 9am appointment on time.

Still playing John Paul's board game. He ends up winning that round. :)

We decide to FaceTime my mom, aka Memere! We end up chatting for over an hour, and lots of John Paul activities occur in the meantime.

He brings out his vitamins.

He requires a diaper change. :P

He builds Memere a "garage" for one car.

He goes for a short tricycle ride.

John and Jude are home! Jude took a little snooze in the car on the way home, so he'll be able to hold off until after lunch for his nap and the boys will have overlapping naps today. WOOP WOOP! Also, John reports that Jude is gaining weight and back on track. SO MUCH WOOP WOOP!

I start working on lunch: vegan lentil tacos. I don't normally make something so fancy, but we're eating out tonight, so I don't mind putting in a little extra work at lunchtime. Btw, have you ever had the lines on a measuring cup fade this much?? Silly, right?

The boys play on the floor beside me. They pull apart my pots and pans cupboard, which keeps them happily distracted while I chop all my veggies and get things a cookin'.

John decides to take John Paul on a Target adventure while I continue working on lunch. As he picks up John Paul to walk him over to the changing table and get him dressed to go, I snap this goofy upside down grin. Look at that milk mustache from his pomegranate kefir snack!

Still working on lunch. It's coming along. Jude is getting antsy again. This time he's bored.

So I start sneaking him little snacks and tastes of what I'm chopping. He gets a cheese stick, olives, tomatoes, avocado, and beans. 

While I wait for the lentils to finish cooking, I take the free time to send a quick email. We're putting out feelers to local designers and gathering quotes for a kitchen reno. Eep! Jude loves to "help" by banging on the keyboard.

Gooby baby still eating his cheese snack.

Lentils still simmering, so I start working on a side salad.

I decide Jude could use a nursing break, since he hasn't nursed since 7:30am. The recipe is at a good stopping place, so I leave everything heating on the stove and he nurses with me in the family room.

Little goob wraps up eating and gets a hold of Daddy's remote control. He hides between the couch and coffee table while he plays.

John and John Paul return from Target with Coco!

Lunch is finally on the table. We have several different version of the same thing. The toddler version is a deconstructed taco with a side of deconstructed salad.

The grown up version is the fully assembled kind. :P

Btw, fritos + catalina dressing is a match made in heaven!

John Paul has mastered the Sign of the Cross after our meal prayer.

John Paul chows down. Om nom nom nom.

Meanwhile, Jude has had enough (might have overdone it on the pre-meal snacking, oops), so he swipes his arm like a windshield wiper and nearly clears off all the contents of his tray. Oyyyy.

No srlsy, he's really had enough. One HUGE yawn and we know it's for sure time to get him down for his nap.

A quick diaper change and then it's up to his bedroom. I get him in his zipadeezip sleep sack and we go straight to nursing.

He's soooo sleepy. He's out within minutes. I let him nurse for a few more as he slumbers sweetly, and read the daily Mass readings to pass the time. Then I gently place him in his crib.

Time to finally get myself dressed! I'm the type that'll go as long as possible before changing into day clothes. Some days I just stay in jammies all day! Not today though. I pick out my Tennessee shirt and pose for a self portrait. Ignore the laundry mess behind me. #reallife

I head back downstairs and John is cleaning the lunch dishes. I change John Paul's diaper and then send the two of them up for an afternoon nap. John gets John Paul down after a few minutes of snuggles and a favorite book.
All three of my boys are down for a nap! I take just a few minutes of this precious silence to get on facebook and see what's been going with the rest of the world.

Still a few lunch dishes left, so I get at it. It'll feel good to have a clean kitchen.

While I clean, I'm watching a new favorite show: Last Man on Earth. Have you seen it?! I've been making my way through all 4 seasons for a few weeks now and I'm almost caught up. It's so hilariously awkward, kinda like a mix of The Office and Flight of the Concords. I love it.

Kitchen is clean, so mama gets to put her feet up. I finish watching an episode of Last Man on Earth and then open blogger to start writing this post. Photography is on hold while I type type type.

John Paul shouts from his bedroom. Nap time is over for him, but Jude is still snoozin'!

John Paul waits patiently in his learning tower as I prepare his snack on the counter. Today's afternoon snack is mush: broken graham crackers and milk, stirred together until mushy. He's obsessed. I add a nectarine on the side to get some fruit in there.

My snack is this edible vegan cookie dough. YUMMMMM!

Still eating his mush. Look at that little chin dimple. <3

Jude finally wakes up! After a 3 hour nap!

I run up to his room to grab him and decide to nurse him for a little while. He eats for about 10 minutes while I scroll Instagram.

We wander over to John Paul's room, right next door, and the boys play while John hangs up some lights I purchased a while back. This will one day be the boys' shared room.

Mischief managed! Marquee lights are hung and we make our way down the stairs.

We decide to play outside for a few minutes to pass the time. It doesn't last long since it's colder than it looks outside.

Jude joins me inside and I unload the dishwasher. John stays outside with John Paul for a few more minutes of play.

All my boys are back inside. John Paul gets into another kitchen cabinet and plays with the funnel. For whatever reason, the boys are especially obsessed with the funnel and the two colanders.

It's time to head to our church for a Lenten fish fry. No, fish is not vegan. We decided earlier in the week it was ok to break our Lenten fast to enjoy fellowship with our church community. 

Our church is right next to our neighborhood, so we walk over. Down the street and up the hill to the fish fry we go!

FISH FRY!! We spend the next hour and a half enjoying good food and the company of great people!

John Paul is a little overwhelmed when we first arrive and has a little meltdown when I ask him if he's going to eat.

The fish is fantastic! We scarf down our food and spend the rest of the time watching all the kiddos runnnn around like crazy. They try to sneak outside about a hundred times, so we have to be on door duty, and continuously stop them from escape.

Look at my beautiful niece/goddaughter, Rosie. <3

And my other goddaughter, Lily! <3 She's obsessed with a Mickey balloon that's stuck up on the ceiling. She keeps screeching and pointing at it. Hilariously cute.

Time to head home! It's family movie night, so we're trying to get back at a reasonable time to watch a good chunk of movie. Tonight's feature: Coco! And we've invited a few friends and family members to join us!

We all settle in, get the movie going, and since Jude didn't eat enough at the fish fry, I nuke him some chicken nuggets. He chows down while watching Coco from his high chair.

John Paul and Rosie snuggle up on the couch. Rosie licks a toy car.

The adults enjoy some bubbly during the Coco viewing. :)

John Paul is GLUED. This is how he watches every movie. I've never seen a toddler with such a long attention span.

Owen enjoys playing with our rainbow stacker toy and catching glimpses of the movie when it's not "too scary." <-- his words.

Still GLUED.

We stop the movie and say goodbye to our friends. It's getting a little too late for all the toddlers, so we don't make it to the end of the movie. John changes Jude's diaper and gets him in his jammies.

Usually we head up for boys' bedtime at 8pm, but it's a special night, so we let it go a little later than normal. Jude loves climbing the stairs on his own. He'll fight himself out of my arms if I forget to put him down to climb.

Halfway up the steps, John Paul has a meltdown because we've forgotten to give him a bedtime snack. We decide to stick with routine, so John brings him back down and gives him a snack.

Jude gets his teeth brushed and then we head into his bedroom and I nurse him to sleep. He's got lots of energy, but after 30 minutes of milkies and snuggles, he finally settles and passes out.

John is wrapping up bedtime routine with John Paul. After the snack, he changed his diaper and got him in his jammies, brushed his teeth, and started reading him a book. I peek into John Paul's room to say goodnight and snap a pic of the cuteness.

John makes his way downstairs after he finishes getting John Paul down for bed. John Paul's pretty easy these days: read a book, say some prayers, put him in his pack n' play, say a long goodnight ("I love you! Sweet Dreams! Sleep well, and dream with the angels!" x 4). He can handle the falling asleep part on his own. 

After a few minutes of clean up, we settle into the family room for our evening screen time. John decides to watch half of a movie, The Foreigner, and I work on this post.

Jude starts crying, so we take it as a sign to wrap up our screen time.

Jude's still crying, so John heads into his room to help him get back to sleep. A 10pm wake-up is pretty rare for Jude, so we're wondering what's bugging him.

John has been rocking Jude this whole time. And he's been out basically the whole time. But John goes to put him gently into his crib and he's wide awake and crying again. So after finishing my bedtime routine (teeth brushed + face routine), I head in to nurse Jude.

Jude is FINALLY out, after 30 minutes of nursing. I put him down and he stays asleep. PHEW!

Lights out for us!


And that's a wrap! What a day! Thanks for following along. :)

Camera: Nikon D3200
Lens: 35mm


  1. What a fun day! And I have to try those vegan lentil tacos! What a great meatless Friday meal. This gives me hope that I can eventually have a routine with littles because everyone always says I will not be able to have any routine which freaks me out!

    1. Oh you'll totally be able to find a routine! The first few months are a little hard to pin down, but there's still a flow to it. Jude would nurse, nap, and then be awake for an hour, repeat repeat repeat all day long until bedtime. So even if his nap varied from 30 minutes to 2 hours, I still knew he'd only be awake for 1 hour once he was up. And then once they're a few months old, they really get even more predictable. Like naps at 10am, 1pm, and 4pm daily. And then as they get even older, they take fewer naps and that frees up a lot of time to go out and about and get your daily tasks done. You got this! Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

  2. You guys eat so healthy! Your family is adorable and you are a rockstar! I am so excited I made it onto the blog. Haha.

    1. Awww you're the sweetest. And YOU are the rockstar, my friend. I'm so glad you're on the blog. :) <3 Btw, we do not eat healthy all the time, promise. Hahaha


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...